When I was in high school, I had this one teacher who played this ice breaker game the first day of class. He had the whole class stand up, he would announce a fact, then you would sit down if you didn’t agree with it and remain standing if you did agree with it. It was a fun way to find out the little things you had in common with your fellow classmates. One of the facts he said was “I love Britney Spears’ music.” I looked around and noticed that everyone started sitting down. I waited a beat before sitting down myself. If I hadn’t sat down, I would have been the only one standing. The thing is, I loved Britney then. I still do! However, I did not want to be the only one standing. I was too embarrassed to be the only one standing.
That was back in high school when a person’s insecurities are at an all-time high. Like most teenagers all I really craved was to fit in. However, I have noticed that a lot of people still do this now. We may admit the things that we like but we tend to always have an excuse. We call them our guilty pleasures, openly admitting that we are somewhat embarrassed to like a certain TV show or a book.
My favorite is people who say they like something ironically. I have no idea what that even means. I’m being serious about this. If someone knows what it means to like something ironically or to wear something ironically, please fill me. I for one am finally done liking things with an excuse. Here are some of the things I like unironically and with no guilt involved.
- Taylor Swift – There is never not a good time to listen to some Taylor Swift. The only complaint I have is that I went to her concert a few years back and I was the oldest person there who wasn’t taking their child.
- Superhero Movies – Hot guys and action scenes. What’s not to like?
- Twilight – I’ve read all the books and I’ve seen all the movies. I actually don’t think any of them are that great but I genuinely really like the first movie. I think people just brush it off because it’s Twilight but it’s actually pretty good.
- Nicholas Sparks – I don’t really read romance novels, they are not my thing. But I have read pretty much all of Nicholas Sparks’ books and I always have to go see his movies. The big part of the allure of his movies is definitely the casting. Ryan Gosling, Zac Efron, Josh Duhamel, Channing Tatum. Need I say more?
- Doctor Who – You should feel guilty if you don’t like Doctor Who. This show is awesome!
- Flip Flops – The second the weather goes over 75 consistently I live in flip flops. On the train, in the park, at work. Everywhere. I do not care!
- Tumblr – I’m about 8-10 years older than the average user but it doesn’t stop me. That site is highly addictive.
- Gossip Girl – I know this show isn’t on anymore and the last season was crap but this was hands down my favorite show for the longest time. It was by far one of the most visually appealing shows I’ve ever watched. It showed the pretty side of New York. (I live here. Trust me, it’s not that nice.) Everyone was so good looking. And the clothes were amazing!
- Diet Soda – OK, this is something I actually should feel bad about since it’s so bad for you. But whatever. I figure as far as vices go, I could do a lot worse.