I am failing at this adult thing in so many epic ways. I mean, there are people my age who own a house and have more than one kid! I feel like having a goldfish is too much responsibility.
But then I down a glass of wine and remind myself that it could be a lot worse. Sure I don’t have all my shit together but a portion of it is. And that has to count for something, right? So I’m going to take the time right now to go over all the awesome ADULT things I’ve got going for me. (Be warned: Lots of boasting up ahead!)
1. I have a savings account with a decent amount in it. I’m not rolling in the dough but if God forbid I lost my job, my savings would keep me afloat for several months.
2. I have a good credit score. Ya know those FreeCreditReport.com commercials? I have the kind of credit score that they’d sing about being “Very Goood!”
3. I pay all of my bills on time. (This explains the “very good” credit score.) I tend to pay my bills at least a week before they’re due so extra points for me.
4. I file my taxes on time every year. I may not do them myself but isn’t that what accountants are for? I get them done so that’s all that matters.
5. I make my own doctor’s appointments. I may not do it as regularly as I should. However, that has more to do with the fact that it’s still super expensive even with my insurance. But when something starts to seriously hurt, I make sure to get myself to a doctor before it gets any worse.
6. I work and am fully capable of holding down a job. In fact, I’ve never been fired from a job and since I was 15, I’ve only gone about two months without working.
7. There are several dishes that I am able to make in the kitchen without burning the house down. And no, these dishes do not include toast and Kraft mac and cheese. Some of these dishes I can make without even using a recipe book!
8. I just survived one full year of grad school and managed to get good grades in all my classes. All this was done while holding down several different jobs. If that’s not adulting, then I don’t know what is.
So now I encourage you to toot your own horn. How are you just killing it at this whole adult thing?