So it’s February. This is my birthday month! The big 3-0 is exactly 16 days away (not that I’m counting or anything). I am not as stressed out as I thought I’d be. I do get a little twitch every time I realize that I’ll no longer be in my twenties but overall I think I’m handling it pretty well. I’ve even decided to actually celebrate my birthday which I don’t always like doing. I’ll be doing a dinner with a bunch of my friends.
Being almost thirty has mostly made me feel very reflective, which I guess is natural. The next series of posts will probably be a lot of me reminiscing and thinking about things that have occurred in my twenties. Today I want to talk about all the things I’ve learned in my twenties. Sure I’m not done and there are some things I’ll probably never learn. (Like folding a fitted sheet. Does anyone actually know how to do this?!?) But there are a lot of things my twenties have taught me.
- Always bring something when you go to someone’s house for dinner. You can never go wrong with a bottle of wine.
- Do not max out your credit cards. Splurging on certain things is fine but do not abuse your credit cards. You will regret it.
- Thirty is not that old. Don’t spend your twenties stressing over turning the big 3-0.
- Bad times will always get better. Humans are pretty resilient. Your twenties will be filled with a lot: rejection, heartbreak, loss of loved ones. But even if it feels like your entire life is in shambles, things will eventually get better.
- Your body is at least ten times better looking than you think it is. Odds are that ten years from now you will look back and wish you had the body you do now.
- You will never have it all figured out. Life is amazingly confusing. Things can change in an instant. Anyone who claims to have it all figured out is a big fat liar!
- You don’t always need to give a reason why you’re no longer talking to someone. This could be friends or someone that you’re dating. Sometimes it’s nice to give people an explanation but if it’s better for your mental health to just walk away, then do it.
- Eating a cupcake is not going to kill you. That one cupcake is not the reason for your muffin top. A cupcake everyday and not exercising may be the reason for that muffin top but not just one.
- You will never be rich so go to that fancy restaurant or go on that vacation. Don’t completely live outside your means but don’t spend your life waiting until you have enough money to start doing things.
- Your love for Nsync will never, ever go away. In fact, it will just get deeper as you get older and your 13-year-old Nsync-loving-self is further and further in the past.
- Accept that student loans will be a way of life for at least the next ten years. You have to get over bitching about it eventually because they are never going away.
- Store brands can be great but there are some things you don’t want to go generic on. Toilet paper is a big one. Splurge a little. It’s an essential item.
- Learning how to cook a few staples is crucial. You don’t need to be the next Gordon Ramsay but you should be able to feed yourself without using Seamless all the time.
- You can get the things you want but it’s going to take time and patience. That dream job is not going to just fall into your lap.
- Social media is the devil if you’re going to use it as a way to compare how unaccomplished you are in your life. Never compare your real life to someone else’s highlight reel.
- You will never comfortably walk in heels but sometimes they are just so worth it.
- Being tan is not worth it. You may look better sun-kissed but it’s not worth the risk of skin cancer and wrinkly skin.
- Turkey bacon will never be good and there is a special place in hell for people who think it’s better than REAL bacon.
- A $10 bottle of wine will do the job just fine.
- Staying home Saturday night is glorious! No shame in Netflix and Chilling all by yourself.
- There are a lot of people in this world who have a worse life than you. It’s important to recognize just how lucky you are. However, this does not completely negate your problems, no matter how trivial they may seem. You’re allowed to be upset about things in your life even though others have it worse.
- Hanging out with girls is not all annoying and drama-filled. If you still believe this myth, you may be the drama Queen, mean girl.
- Getting hand-me-downs for your apartment is great. Nothing wrong with asking friends and browsing yard sales for a good deal but always go new with a mattress.
- If you don’t want to do something, say no. And you don’t automatically owe the person an explanation why.
- Start a savings. Even if you’re only putting away $10 a month. It’s better than nothing and it has to start somewhere.
- Your friends are amazing, make time for them. If they are still around by now, they are worth at least a phone call once a week to talk.
- Stop getting bangs. You hate them and always think you look bad.
- The definition of success is not a universal thing. For some it’s getting married and having babies, for some it’s having an office with an amazing view, for some it’s waking up before 10am. Be happy with the things you have accomplished.
- It really doesn’t matter what other people think of you. And spoiler alert: 99.9% of the time they aren’t thinking about you anyway.
- Turning 30 is not the end of the world. There is still plenty of time to go back to school, get married, have babies, buy a house, land that dream job. Your twenties are just the beginning.
Love this 🙂 as some one that is approaching 25, these really helped to put things in perspective and stop the panicking haha
Glad you enjoyed it! I remember feeling really panicky when I was turning 25, not sure why. So it’s a complete natural reaction but trust me, it’s not as scary as it seems.
Love everything about this!! I think we all have this idea of what things are supposed to or should be like when we get to a certain age, but the truth is, life is messy and unpredictable and it’s always changing. If I know anything, it’s that 30 is going to look fab on you, girl! And you should damn well celebrate all month long! ❤
Always love your comments! Life is really crazy but I am learning to just embrace the chaos!
Embracing the chaos has seemed to be my MO lately haha. You got this, girl!
Happy soon-to-be-birthday! It sounds like you’ve learned a ton throughout your twenties. I love that you pointed out in a few of these that no one has it figured out. I’m convinced I’m going to fake it til I make it for the rest of eternity.
Thanks for the early birthday wishes! I think we’re all faking it till we make it. I am fully confused that even someone like Bill Gates has moments where he doesn’t know what the hell he’s doing. Or at least I tell myself that to feel better!
As an almost 60 year old, I can verify that no one has it all figured out. Definitely buy name brand for certain products! And double definitely eat REAL bacon! Life is too short for turkey!
I am glad someone else shares my disdain for turkey bacon. It’s the absolute worst!
Love this- needed to read something like this- especially number 4!
Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it.
this is great! been 20 for 4 months now, so ill remember some of these:)
Ah, welcome to your twenties. Enjoy them. They go by really fast but they are pretty amazing!
Reblogged this on GUM | Growing Up Millennial.
Love this. Your twenties /are/ just the beginning so chill out and enjoy the ride
Thanks. Twenties really just the beginning. I don’t know where this notion that life ends when you turn 30 came from, but I’m not buying it.
Possibly my new fave post by you! So much wisdom–and #12–thanks for saying it because somebody needed to! 😛 Happy birthday!
Thanks!!!! Glad you enjoyed the post!
I really needed to read this! Thanks for this great post!
Thanks for reading! 🙂
This had to have been the best read to date. I swear I couldn’t have loved this anymore! I’ll be reblogging for my Support Sundays tomorrow, “best balieve dat” lol, I feel like you ran through my mind and just took all of my thoughts out. I can’t even comment on certain points because its TOO many to cosign on. UGH. I hate-love you lol. I’ll just say this:
7. THANK YOU! My friend lives by this now and I can see the stress just melt off of her.
8. LMAO I say this as I eat cupcake after cupcake, after cupcake. THREE cupcakes is the reason for your muffin top…not one. lmao
9. YES, YES YES! I will live damnit!
11. Goes along with #9 – screw Salle. I stay delinquent now. In December I chose a new smart TV over loans. In January I chose a new cell phone. What will Feb hold for me??
19. Anyday, any hour.
21. “You’re allowed to be upset about things in your life even though others have it worse.” – thank you! I hate when people try to downplay my drama because theirs is worse. SO….I’m sad damnit let me live.
I don’t feel like adding more. Things have gotten out of hand already
Hahaha, I love your comment!!! And thanks for the reblog! 🙂
Reblogged this on mind JO business and commented:
Support Sunday Ep04: “The definition of success is not a universal thing. For some it’s getting married and having babies, for some it’s having an office with an amazing view, for some it’s waking up before 10am. Be happy with the things you have accomplished.” – Am I Thirty Yet
I totally get #7. I used to hang out with some girls every weekend and now we have drifted apart. I feel like they are good in small doses and we are just not all on the same page. It’s okay to feel like that and it’s okay that we aren’t all best friends still.
As you get older, I think it’s just natural to outgrow people. It happens.
Ha ha. Bangs. Haven’t you mentioned it earlier too? That and point 5 had me in splits.
Awesome. U make me wanna reflect and write one myself. (Although who am I kidding). You are a week away I guess.
Advance wishes to the cool blogger living in another part of the globe 🙂
Yep, I have mentioned bangs before. I’m getting a haircut next Friday so I felt like I needed a reminder, haha.
Thanks for the early birthday wishes!
This was wonderful!! I also kind of love your hatred of bangs. It cracks me up 😛
Thanks! I really do hate bangs. I’m getting a haircut next week. I need to remember how much I hate bangs because I always seem to forget once I’m sitting in that chair.
I was considering getting them in a few weeks, but I think you just reminded me it’s ALWAYS a bad idea.
I’m approaching my 30…and I am as upset and stressed as….probably you were. That post has calmed my nerves!